Sunday, May 19, 2013

Awesome 8 and Why I'm Blogging Again


FYI -  I'm blogging again because:
  1. Summer is fast approaching and with it come both adventures and boredom to be shared; 
  2. I'm running again and hoping to find another way to track my progress and be inspired; and
  3. I actually like and miss blogging.
Also, hoping I can start to organize and share some of the hilarious things I learned as a first year teacher with, really, no more intention than to amuse some and simply reflect for myself.

AND SO IT BEGINS.  

Today I ran an Awesome 8 miles in Tilden Regional Park in the Berkeley hills.  Starting and ending from Inspiration Point, 8 miles out and back toward Richmond on a gorgeous sunny 80 degree afternoon, I had perfect views of San Francisco, the Golden Gate, and cows (see above).  This paved run is my cup of tea with its eucalyptus grove (the scent always takes me back to Monterey), flats and hills, gorgeous golden fields, and again, COWS.  Every time I run this course I think of sunny, early September Sunday afternoons on my grandparents' farm in southwest Monroe County, Iowa.  It's a true farm girl who breathes deeply into the lilting, grassy smell of manure and thinks to herself "I am home and everything is perfect in the world."  When I'm a little homesick for my own rolling hills, cows, and the people who live among them, this run can really do the trick.

I have a feeling I'll be running this old favorite of mine often in the next month.  And can't wait already.  

No comments: