Saturday, May 31, 2008

Scenes from Beijing

I've quickly lost my heart in Beijing.  I peacefully sat and sipped a Fanta while a tiny pigtailed thing crept curiously beside me.  She hid and (I think) counted behind me, then leapt out with a pouty lower lip begging for attention.  I surprised her by snapping a photo.  As soon as she figured out the routine, she was hooked and stayed a while to play.  The magic of Mac Photo Booth brings cultures together.






I’ve been in Beijing for about three hours while waiting for my connecting flight to Ulaanbataar.  I’ve had time for two Fantas and the appropriate sugar highs and lows that accompany such carbonated deliciousness.  The Beijing airport is gorgeous and modern – newly completed for the upcoming summer Olympics.  The airport employees, seemingly all under the age of 25, are friendly and English speaking.  They look a little bored, perhaps a little over-staffed, but content and well-paid all the same.  The standard multi-national companies are present:  Starbucks, Burger King, Haagen-Dazs...

The little girl and I tried to speak to one another, but we found it impossible as I don’t know Mandarin Chinese and she's too young to been in more than a year of school.  But as I was packing up to leave for the gate, she scooted past sitting atop her mom’s luggage cart.  She waived and shouted, with perfect American English pronunciation, “Good-bye!”

I’m en route to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, land of the blue sky, home to Ghengis Khan, the world’s natural wonderland.  With the gracious advice and support from Monterey Institute advisors, I’ve secured an internship working with officials implementing the Millennium Development Goals good governance assessments for the developing nation.  It's a first-of-it's-kind project, which in December 2008 will have created indicators and a system for the nation to yearly track and assess its progress toward "true" democratic governance (is there really a thing?).  

In addition to working for the Millennium Development Goals project, I'll be conducting individual research to present upon return to Monterey.  The research is shaping up as a study of the North Korean refugees living in and traveling through Mongolia.  If I've time (and motivation and energy and courage) I'd also like to study the increased urban poverty and child homelessness created by rural Mongolian migration to urban Ulaanbaatar.  Most recent development statistics report a proliferation of child homelessness.  The social worker in me comes out every time I see photos of over-stuffed, under-funded orphanages, and I can't help but want to dig into the issue when I've the opportunity. 

Welcome to the journey!  I’ve committed myself to posting weekly, whether it be a simple photo or detailed description - I promise all posts won't be this long.  Please read, share, and comment as you like.  If you’ve ever dreamed of traveling Mongolia and have suggestions for adventures I should experience, please send along to mmammons@gmail.com.  I’m looking forward to a fabulous summer.

Much love to my family and friends in Iowa, Monterey and throughout the US and globe. 

Molly

3 comments:

GC said...

Hello and congratulations and happy travels from Seattle!!!!! I can't believe you're in Mongolia! Wait, I can believe it...I just can't believe how jealous I am. :-) I cannot wait to read your posts throughout the summer!

Mom said...

Molly,
I love to travel the world through your eyes and words. Thanks for the blog. P. $. Need anything??$$

Love, Mom

Leah Reiter said...

Hello darling-

We missed you at the wedding! Hope all is well in Mongolia :) Joe went on his first tour (only 12 days - thank goodness). Send more pictures of your worldly travels....