Ulaanbaatar, a city of about a million people, has a significant homeless population, with children a heartbreaking majority of "tunnel dwellers" like the man. They live in the spaces around steam and water pipes, one of the few areas to keep warm at night. Many are migrants who've moved from the rural, nomadic regions to take part in the economic growth of Mongolia's capital city. Upon arrival they discover that though the economy is developing, unemployment is still high. Like many other world nations, the city and nation are both experiencing a widening gap between the richest and poorest members of society. It's painfully visible in Ulaanbaatar.
I was also returning home for the night. My heart broke when I thought of our different living spaces. My apartment is warm, spacious, with a washing machine, microwave, and tv with Russian MTV, BBC World News and ESPN. It's everything I could need or want.
2 comments:
Wow,
That's great you're in Mongolia now. I look foward to reading your posts! I looked at airfare, (I'm always up for a new adventure) but it's quite expensive to fly half way around the world right now. :-(
I picked up Charles from the airport last night. He seems very nice. I hope he likes living here in D.C. It was good to get a live, first-hand report on what my MollsAlert has been up to.
It made me realize that it has been awhile since I've seen you! Hopefully that will change. How long are you in Mongolia?
I'm so glad you have a blog so I can keep up with you, Miss Molly! I love you & keep me updated on your travels!
Post a Comment