Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Haiku Wednesdays


Photo: Rueters

We hear Taps at dusk
Calling us for sleep and dream
Every night a song

I live on in a hill in Monterey that, at its peak, looks over the entire Monterey Bay.  It's breathtaking.  Settled on the crest of the hill is the Defense Language Institute, a language training center for the US military.  DLI, as it's lovingly referred to here, is where America's soldiers are taught to be foreign spies.  No joke.  They learn languages so that they can listen to wiretaps, infiltrate foreign organizations and work in the jungles with natives.  Students study a range of languages from Russian to Korean to Pashtun (an Afghani dialect) to Arabic to Hindi.

Every morning, dusk and night DLI broadcasts what I think is a live version of Taps, along with some other military songs I can't quite name.  Its really lovely to come up the hill from a long run and hear a comforting horn calling me home.  Although I hear it every night, it never grows old.

No comments: