Saturday, March 14, 2009

21st Century Tools for Change

This semester has been made sweeter by my new job at the Digital Media Commons on the Monterey Institute campus.  The DMC is a part of the campus's Teaching Learning Collaborative and is a space for learning digital media tools as a means of creating peace, justice and change.  It's a fantastic, creative, positive space to be every day, and I'm continually awed by my colleagues and their creations.  The trailer below is just one example.


If you know me at all, you know that I need tangible results to feel that anything good is coming from my work.  I've always considered "results" as something that's come directly from my hands:  a well-fed child or a woman with new language skills or a man who will be able to care for this family because of his new job.  What I'm learning at MIIS is that results can be tangible and large scale at the same time.  Through digital media tools,  perhaps my love for grassroots change can spread through the masses.  At least, that's my hope.

See more MIIS creations here.

No comments: