Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Home for the homeless


I applaud my former city council members in Des Moines for moving one step closer to the creation of a new homeless shelter in the city.  However, the controversy remains.  It's evident that a new shelter is needed, yet city officials and residents can't seem to decide where to locate the new shelter and the throngs of homeless men and women who will reside there.

I've ranted about this topic before.  I'll admit that I'm not sure Keo Way is the best place for a new shelter.  Sure, the location would be close to the downtown bus hub and employment opportunities downtown, both of which are vital for men and women hoping to get back on their feet.  However, a part of me agrees with Mayor Cownie that the area might be over-saturated with vulnerable residents and that a shelter would place more stress on the burdened area.  

I lived in Sherman Hill for almost two years and loved every minute of it.  It was beautiful because it was growing and thriving again after years of decay.  I adored the grit and eccentric atmosphere, the strange beauty of Hoyt Sherman and lovely Victorians next to crack houses with deteriorating front porches.  I loved the genuine city aura that the downtown area generates.  The socio-economic and cultural diversity that the area provides was exactly what I loved about it.   In a metro area that seems to revolve around malls and strip malls and mega malls, I found a bit of city solace in my tiny apartment in Sherman Hill.  

But gentrification is not going to solve the problem of a growing population of homeless families.  So build, Des Moines, build.  Those neighborhoods and their residents are strong - they'll find a way to deal with it.

No comments: